Cristiano Ronaldo returns to training as Juventus defend star amid allegations of rape

0

Juventus have gone public in their defence of Cristiano Ronaldo amid rape allegations made against him.

The Portuguese star, who trained with the team on Thursday and should return to the Juve team for their Serie A clash at Udinese on Sunday after serving a one-game ban in the Champions League, has once again denied the allegations made against him and insists that he has a clear conscience.

Ronaldo said rape was ‘an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in’ as police in Las Vegas reopened a sexual assault investigation from 2009. 

And on Thursday night, Juve took to social media to show their solidarity behind their No 7.  

‘.@Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus,’ they wrote on Twitter.

‘The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion.’

.@Cristiano Ronaldo has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus. 1/1

The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion. 2/2

Kathryn Mayorga, a 34-year-old teacher who was an aspiring model at the time of the alleged assault, claims Ronaldo raped her in a bathroom at the Palms Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas in the early hours of June 13, 2009.

Court papers claimed he attacked her even though she was screaming ‘No, no, no!’

Mayorga’s lawyers said on Wednesday night she couldn’t face the press at a news conference because she has PTSD and depression as a result of the alleged incident nine years on. 

She said in a statement that she wanted to ‘hold Cristiano Ronaldo accountable for his actions’ and is trying to tear up a 2010 settlement where she was paid $375,000 (£290,000) by the Juventus star, 33.

She added that she wanted to encourage sex attack victims to come forward ‘no matter how famous, wealthy or powerful’ the other person was. 

But it appeared to be business as usual for Ronaldo on Thursday as he returned to training after sitting out his side’s comfortable win over Young Boys on Tuesday night.

Ronaldo was seen juggling the ball on his head before running at opponents in a small-sided game at the end of the session.

After missing the European tie in midweek, following his red card in Valencia last month, Ronaldo should return to the team this weekend as Juve look to maintain their 100 per cent domestic record.

He has scored three goals and added five assists in eight appearances in Turin so far this season. Ronaldo joined in a stunning £100million move from Real Madrid earlier this summer.

Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.

loading...
Share.

Leave A Reply