TRIPOLI, Sept. 13 (Xinhua) — The European Union (EU) Delegation to Libya on Thursday said it is ready to hold accountable the violators of the UN-brokered ceasefire deal in the Libyan capital Tripoli.
“The EU, in coordination with the UN and other partners, is ready to consider options to hold accountable whoever hampers the implementation of the recent agreements or threatens the free functioning of sovereign institutions working for the benefit of all Libyans,” the delegation said in a statement.
The delegation confirmed its support to the efforts of the UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame to achieve stability in Libya, calling on Libyan parties to “join and abide by this agreement and to work in good faith towards its consolidation.”
“Any violation of the ceasefire, such as the rocket attacks against Maitiga airport, as well as inflammatory statements that may lead to more violence, are unacceptable. Furthermore, attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure constitute violations of international law,” the statement said.
Tripoli recently witnessed violent clashes between government forces and the so-called Seventh Brigade militia from the city of Tarhuna, some 80 km southeast Tripoli, which killed 78 people and injuring 210 others.
The UN Mission in Libya last week brokered a ceasefire agreement between the fighting parties to end the violence in the city. However, the Seventh Brigade threatened to break the truce and resume fighting to “eliminate crime and gangs in Tripoli.”
The UN-backed government rejected on late Tuesday the threat, while reaffirming its keenness to maintain security and stability in the capital.
Libya has been suffering insecurity and escalating violence since the fall of former leader Muammar Gaddafi’s regime in 2011.