80/20 diet promises weight loss without cutting favourite foods, claims Teresa Cutter

0

Aimed to promote balance and sustainability, the 80/20 Diet promises devotees they can have their cake – and eat it too. 

It’s based on packing 80 per cent of the diet with whole foods while allowing for reasonable indulgence in the remaining 20 per cent.

According to award winning chef and cookbook author Teresa Cutter, the food plan provides resolve for those well acquainted with the world of crash diets.

‘Basically what it means is to fill your plate with healthy foods 80 per cent of the time and enjoy what you crave the rest of the time – or make healthier versions of meals,’ she told Daily Mail Australia. 

‘It’s a great way to be balanced as opposed to being fanatical 100 per cent of the time as it’s not going to last as it’s about moderation and customising your diet according to your needs.’   

Along with Teresa – who penned a book on the diet – its benefits are lauded by a string of celebrity followers including Miranda Kerr, Jessica Alba and Kelly Rowland. 

‘I always say to people “it’s easy, go to the supermarket and ignore the middle aisles, just stick to fruit and vegetables,”‘ Teresa added.

‘Being super strict 100 per cent of the time is never going to last – it will just lead to binge eating and overeating.’ 

Among its hallmarks are three main directives: eating the right food, exercising in moderation and engaging in ample rest and relaxation. 

‘It’s all about making sure that you’re having enough sleep, making sure you’re taking time out for yourself and being mindful about yourself,’ Teresa explained.   

The basis of the diet’s philosophy is keeping it simple, which according to Teresa involves ‘avoiding foods your great-grandparents wouldn’t have eaten’.

Whole foods, fresh fruits and vegetables along with meals without complex ingredients should be plentiful throughout the diet.    

‘It’s just all about eating when you’re hungry, portion control and avoiding binge eating.’   

And when it comes time to indulge, the directives still remain paramount. 

‘It means you can have the cake – but not eat the whole thing. It’s about really enjoying a slice and then being done with it.’

‘But once people start eating healthy, if overindulgence happens they realise “oh wait I actually don’t feel so great afterwards,”‘ she said. 

Share.

Leave A Reply