The UK’s Crown Prosecution Service says Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, will face no further action over his collision with another car near the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk last month.
“The CPS has carefully reviewed material submitted by the police in relation to a traffic collision on the A149 on 17 January this year,” Chris Long, Chief Crown Prosecutor for CPS East of England, said.
“We took into account all of the circumstances in this case, including the level of culpability, the age of the driver and the surrender of the driving licence.
“We have decided that it would not be in the public interest to prosecute.
“All those involved in the collision have been informed and provided with a full explanation in writing.”
Earlier this month, the Duke surrendered his driving licence following the crash.
The 97 -year-old apologised for his part in the accident, which occurred when his Land Rover Freelander collided with another car on January 17, leaving two women needing hospital treatment.
About 48 hours after the crash he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting criticism.
Philip’s driving woes began when his car flipped over after he pulled out into a busy road and collided with a Kia, carrying a nine-month old boy, his mother and another passenger.
He escaped injury, but passenger Emma Fairweather broke her wrist and called for the duke to be prosecuted if he was found to be at a fault.
In a letter dated January 21, Philip wished her a “speedy recovery” and said he “failed to see the car coming”, the Sunday Mirror reported.
He blamed the low, bright sun for obscuring his vision, adding he was “very contrite about the consequences”.
The crash did not immediately put Philip off driving.
Wearing tinted glasses, he was photographed at the wheel of a replacement Land Rover while not wearing a seatbelt in the ensuing days.
© AAP 2019