Ronaldo rape accuser’s lawyers hunt fellow London accuser from 2005

0

Lawyers for the woman who accuses Cristiano Ronaldo of raping her in Las Vegas are encouraging another woman who claimed he raped her in London to reach out.

Leslie Stovall, the attorney representing Vegas accuser Kathryn Maroga, said he is ‘interested’ in identifying a French-African woman who accused Ronaldo in 2005.

The woman claimed she was attacked by the then-Manchester United player at the Sanderson Hotel, in upmarket Mayfair, central London.

Ronaldo was arrested on suspicion of rape at the time, but the charges were dropped after prosecutors decided there was not enough evidence.

Speaking to The Sun, Mr Stovall said he would like to speak with any woman who has accused the now-Juventus star of sexual assault or rape.

‘I’m only aware of one person in England who alleged sexual assault,’ he said. 

‘I would love to speak to that woman. I would be interested in identifying and contacting them.’

A second woman had accused Ronaldo and his cousin of assaulting her and her friend the same night, but later withdrew her allegations.

Ms Mayorga, now a 34-year-old teacher, claims Ronaldo attacked her in the penthouse of the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas in 2009. 

She says the pair had met at Rain nightclub earlier that evening where she was a promoter. The pair were photographed together in the VIP area.

Ms Mayorga says the attacked happened in a bathroom and bedroom while she was trying to get changed, and left her in severe physical pain.

Court papers claimed he attacked her even though she was screaming ‘No, no, no!’ 

Afterward, Ronaldo allegedly apologised, saying he is ‘usually a gentleman’.

The 33-year-old athlete subsequently took to Twitter to defend himself, posting: ‘I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

‘Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.’

In a second tweet, he added: ‘My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.’     

The ex-Manchester United player also spoke out in a video on Instagram just hours after Mayorga’s lawyer filed court documents about the case. Grinning into the camera, he said: ‘No, no, no, no, no. What they said today? Fake, fake news.’

‘They want to promote [themselves by using]my name. It’s normal. They want to be famous to say my name, but it is part of the job. I am a happy man and all good.’

The pair had met at Rain nightclub at the Palms, where Ronaldo was staying on holiday. Pictures show Ronaldo and Ms Mayorga together at the club. In one intimate moment he clasps her hand while whispering into her ear. 

According to documents filed at Clark County District Court on Friday, the footballer, invited Ms Mayorga and a friend to his penthouse suite ‘to enjoy the view of the Las Vegas Strip’.

Ms Mayorga claims she refused to get into his hot tub because she did not want to ruin her dress, then Ronaldo offered her some athletic shorts and a T-shirt and pointed her towards a bathroom where she could change.

The court documents state that as she was changing, Ronaldo entered the bathroom, exposed himself and asked her to perform a sex act.

The documents add: ‘The plaintiff [Ms Mayorga] refused and stated she wanted to leave the hotel suite. Upon leaving the bathroom, Ronaldo pulled the plaintiff into a bedroom and on to a bed and attempted to engage in sexual intercourse. Plaintiff refused… and covered herself in an attempt to prevent sexual penetration.’

According to the papers, the striker then turned Ms Mayorga on to her side, and that even though she was screaming ‘no, no, no!’, she was raped by the star.

The documents claim Ronaldo left the bedroom after the assault, ‘stating he was sorry, he was usually a gentleman’.  

Separately, in an interview with Der Spiegel, Ms Mayorga claims Ronaldo said he was ’99 percent good a good guy’ let down by the ‘1 percent’. 

The court documents claim the footballer confirmed the pair had sex but said it was consensual.

Ms Mayorga alleges she reported the incident to Las Vegas police later that day and went to hospital where evidence of the alleged rape was documented and photographed. 

She later hired a lawyer, and in 2010 negotiated a £287,000 out-of-court settlement. As part of that deal, she agreed never to go public with her allegations.

But the new claim seeks to overturn that settlement, which she says she only signed because she was ‘terrified of retaliation’ from Ronaldo and of ‘being publicly humiliated by being identified as a victim of sexual assault’.

Her lawyer also claimed she was ‘incompetent and lacked the capacity’ to enter into the agreement at the time due to the psychological impact of the attack.

She says she has been left traumatised by the incident and has now gone public, in part because of the #MeToo movement in which women have shared their tales of abuse. She also claimed to have been left with PTSD and ‘major depression’.

The lawsuit also the psychological impact of the incident had made Ms Mayorga feel suicidal and left her struggling to maintain her relationships and stay in work. 

Ronaldo claimed Ms Mayorga’s physical injuries were caused by another person.

Court papers quote alleged correspondence between Ronaldo’s legal team, in which an unnamed person writes the financial settlement with Ms Mayorga is ‘incredibly favourable’ and resulted in her not pursing a criminal case ‘which could have resulted in Cristiano Ronaldo being imprisoned for a life sentence for sexual assault’.

Ms Mayorga is suing for damages which could run into millions of dollars. But Ronaldo’s lawyers have vowed to sue German magazine Der Spiegel, which originally reported Ms Mayorga’s claims, saying the ‘blatantly illegal’ story ‘violates the personal rights of our client in an exceptionally serious way’.  

loading...
Share.

Leave A Reply