THE NHS spends almost a staggering £3million removing foreign objects from noses and ears, according to a study.
Kids were more likely than adults to get into the sticky situation — responsible for 95% and 85% of cases from noses and ears respectively.
The study said: “The occurrence of foreign bodies in children is generally attributed to curiosity, a whim to explore orifices and accidental entry of the foreign body.”
The usual suspects were rocks, toys, and sweets.
But the study pointed out insertion of a button battery can easily cause death.
“Ask any ear, nose and throat surgeon, and they’ll be able to tell you about weird and wonderful objects they have retrieved from the noses and ears of children”
Dr Simon Morris
The tiny batteries are used in torches, car keys, and artificial candles.
Even if they appear to have run out of charge, they can corrode through tissues and cause death through blood loss.
In adults, the most common culprit was rogue cotton ear-buds.
The study that between 2010–2016 the NHS spent an average cost of £2,880,148 a year on foreign object removal.
Children aged one to four were most at risk.
The paper was titled “Will Children Ever Learn?” and published in The Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons.
Its author, Dr Simon Morris, a specialist at Morriston Hospital in Swansea, told the BBC: “Ask any ear, nose and throat surgeon, and they’ll be able to tell you about weird and wonderful objects they have retrieved from the noses and ears of children and adults – pretty much anything that fits.
“Personally I’ve seen green peas, ‘googly eyes’ and polystyrene balls from bean-bags.”
An object stuck in the body requires immediate medical attention.
But people have visited A&E for much more trivial reasons.
Health officials said Brits have sought emergency care for hiccups, shaving cuts, false nail mishaps, and splinters in their fingers.