Unbelievable footage exhibits the moments navy divers enter a sinking jet Adam Milburn


An Australian diver helped rescue passengers after a plane crash in Micronesia before navy divers arrived to search the sinking aircraft.

Air Niugini Flight 73 undershot the runway at Chuuk International Airport on the island of Weno by 145 metres and crashed into a lagoon on September 28.

Adam Milburn, a former Australian Navy clearance diver who lives in Micronesia, was on board the plane when it went down, killing one passenger.

Incredible footage shows sailors from the US Navy entering the Boeing 737, after Mr Milburn helped evacuate fellow passengers.

Mr Milburn bravely battled to save passengers on board the sinking plane, amid reports that Air Niugini crew panicked and failed to assist people off the aircraft.

He also reentered the plane with the US Navy sailors to check for remaining survivors.   

The sailors swam through the length of the plane before deeming it to dangerous top remain in the aircraft’s interior.    

‘I was like everyone, kind of floundering. ‘How did we get here? What’s happening? What are we doing right now in a plane that’s floating on the water’?’ Mr Milburn told ABC’s 7.30. 

He claimed that following the crash, the crew instructed passengers to remain seated. 

However according to Mr Milburn, passengers received no further instruction, which was when he decided to grab his life jacket and start helping people. 

Mr Milburn also wondered if there was anything that he could have done to save the Indonesian man who died in the incident. 

‘I literally touched everyone that came out the exit door on the left-hand wing, either assisted them into the life raft or physically carried them into the life raft, so no one was coming out and falling off the wing and drowning, I’m absolutely confident of that.’ 

Mr Milburn also said that many suffered head or neck injuries from hitting the front of their seats on impact. 

He claimed he did not see a cabin crew member do a headcount or check names.  

An American journalist, Bill Jaynes, was a passenger on the Boeing 737 flight and has called Mr Milburn’s actions heroic. 

‘I know Adam and I know he would be the last person to call himself anything like a hero, [but]considering there was a plane in the water I would call it heroic.’  

Air Niugini, Papua New Guinea’s national airline, initially announced that all 35 passengers and 12 crew members were safely evacuated. However it later emerged that one passenger had died. 

Eko Cahyanto Singgih’s body was recovered by US Navy divers from the aircraft, according to the Micronesian government. 

The government said nine people were injured in the crash, four of them critically.

The US Navy Seabees, who were in Chuuk for a construction project, entered the plane, which was half-submerged in water, to check for any remaining survivors.

Fisherman on the Micronesian island of Weno also sprang into action when they saw the plane go down.

Local men and women on the island jumped into their fishing boats and rowed out to the sinking plane to help rescue passengers before it went under. 

Some had begun to swim for their lives while others were standing on the wings of the rapidly-sinking jet when the flotilla of boats arrived. 

With help of US Navy sailors, locals used their small fishing boats to shuttle people from the plane to shore.

The exact cause of the crash is under investigation. Air Niugini claims that reduced visibility due to heavy rain caused the pilot to miss the runway.

Chuuk State (also known as Truk) is one of the four states of the Federated States of Micronesia, with 50,000 inhabitants on 46 square miles. The plane went down near Weno Island in Chuuk Lagoon, which is where most people live. 

Daily Mail Australia has contacted Air Niugini for comment.  


Leave A Reply