Actual Madrid information: Antonio Conte appointment ‘a recipe for disaster’ – ex-Bernabeu worker

0

REAL MADRID appointing Antonio Conte as manager would be ‘a recipe for disaster’, according to a former employee of the club.

Real Madrid news:

Real Madrid news: Conte’s defensive tactics have raised questions over his suitability at Real (Pic: GETTY)

Real are on the lookout for a new boss after sacking Julen Lopetegui.

Lopetegui got the boot last Monday after the club’s nightmare start to the season hit a new low following the 5-1 hammering at rivals Barcelona in El Clasico.

Santiago Solari has been placed in temporary charge but the club are taking stock of their options going forward.

One name linked has been former Chelsea and Juventus man Conte.

“He also plays extremely defensive football”

Duncan Castles

He’s available having left the Blues in the summer.

But Real have been warned against drafting in the fiery Italian.

Journalist Duncan Castles revealed why on the latest episode of The Transfer Window podcast.

He said: “The other dimension with Conte is he has a history of aggravating every dressing room.

“He also plays extremely defensive football. His tactics at Chelsea, while exciting on the counter-attack in his first season, were to play a five-man defence, with four men guarding them and a striker going around and trying to do damage to the opposition midfielders when they had the ball.

“One former Real Madrid employee said to me last week, (that) would be a recipe for absolute disaster if he tried to implement that in the Santaigo Bernabeu.”

Fellow podcast guest Ian McGarry believes Real’s main objective is to get Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino.

He said: “I would say from Real Madrid and Florentino Perez’s point of view, their Plan A is definitely see the season out with a manager who can effectively caretake till May next year on the basis they will then be able to mount a proper engagement of Mauricio Pochettino.”

McGarry added the European champions have a problem on their hands in captain Sergio Ramos.

“As one very much in the inside Real Madrid hierarchy put to me during my time in Spain over the last couple days that ‘Ramos is a cancer in the dressing room, that needs to be cut out’,” McGarry added.

“That is a serious, serious situation. As captain, as club icon that he is, getting rid of him will be very difficult.

“I think there is now a mood within the Santiago Bernabeu that whatever happens going forward, that whether it is long-term or for the rest of the season, that Ramos needs to be cut out of the club in order for any coach who is coming in to have a chance of managing the dressing room in the way they want to do.”

Sevilla failed to capitalise on a weekend of slip-ups for La Liga’s chasing pack when they were held to a goalless draw away to Real Sociedad on Sunday, opening up a four-point gap behind leaders and champions Barcelona.

Sevilla had the chance to go clear in second place and close the deficit with Barca to two points but they came unstuck in a game of scant chances, badly missing injured strikers Wissam Ben Yedder and Andre Silva who have been responsible for 12 of the team’s 22 league goals this season.

Their best opportunity fell to veteran winger Jesus Navas who hit the side netting early in the second half, while former Sevilla forward Sandro Ramirez missed the home side’s best chance, slipping and firing wide when he was clean through.

Sevilla are second in the standings, locked on 20 points with Atletico Madrid, held to a 1-1 draw at Leganes on Saturday, and Alaves, who were beaten 2-1 at Basque neighbours Eibar with a stoppage-time header from Pape Diop.

Barca are top on 24 after rallying late against struggling Rayo Vallecano on Saturday to win 3-2. Their neighbours Espanyol could move into second above Sevilla if they beat Athletic Bilbao at home on Monday.

Share.

Leave A Reply