Prince William’s two words about Meghan Markle ‘that caused rift with Harry’

0

Prince William feared his brother had been “blindsided by lust” in his haste to wed Meghan Markle – and used two words in particular that angered Harry, a new book claims.

In Finding Freedom, the co-authors claim the Duke of Sussex was angered by what he perceived as his brother’s “snobbish” attitude to his bride.

Carolyn Durand and Omid Scobie claim Harry was offended by William’s unwanted advice to “take as much time as you need to get to know this girl”.

According to the pair, William was happy for his brother, but “just wanted to make sure that Harry wasn’t blindsided by lust”.

But his younger brother allegedly took offence to the phrase “this girl”, and interpreted it as “snobbish and condescending”.

Excerpts from the book have been published in the Times and the Sunday Times this weekend ahead of its release next month.

The rest of the royals were also apparently less than welcoming, with one senior royal allegedly referring to Meghan as “Harry’s showgirl” – and another saying “she comes with a lot of baggage”.

Another senior courtier is said to have told a colleague: “There’s just something about her I don’t trust.”

Harry’s belief that the palace was out to sabotage his relationship was the beginning of the rift with his brother.

He is said to have felt “unprotected” by the institutions around the monarchy, and derided by the old guard for being “too sensitive and outspoken”.

The Duchess of Cambridge apparently did little to bridge the divide and never really got to know Meghan.

One source said of Harry: “He’s extremely protective of Meghan.

“He understands that a lot of people are against them, and he will do everything he can to keep her safe and away from getting hurt – even if that means distancing himself from those people.”

The book claims Meghan and Kate never spent much time together before the Sussexes tied the knot in May 2018 and they didn’t get any closer afterwards.

There were some “awkward moments”, but there was never a falling out, the book adds.

It says: “Meghan would agree with the assessment that the duchesses were not the best of friends. Their relationship hadn’t progressed much since she was Harry’s girlfriend.

“But they were not at war with each other, either. There were awkward moments, such as the day the women happened to cross paths at Kensington Palace (in early 2017, when Harry and Meghan were still only dating), and although both were heading out to go shopping – in the same street – Kate went in her own Range Rover.”

Another said the coolness between the princes was the reason for Harry and Meghan’s move to Windsor.

“He wanted to get away from the goldfish bowl that was Kensington Palace,” the said.

“Everywhere you turn, you’re surrounded by staff and family. He was at a point in his life where he was working with his brother, doing the foundation with his brother and living by his brother.

“It was too much.”

Close friends of William and Kate have defended the couple, claiming the Cambridges had “rolled out the red carpet” for Meghan and “done all they possibly could” to welcome the former Suits actress into the Royal Family.

The Cambridges invited Meghan to Anmer Hall, their country home in Norfolk, where Kate cooked vegan meals for her brother-in-law’s then fiancee, it is claimed.

A friend told the Mail on Sunday: “It’s just completely wrong to suggest they didn’t talk and plain wrong to say the Cambridges weren’t welcoming.

“How can you say they weren’t warm or welcoming when they hosted Meghan for Christmas, invited her into their totally private inner sanctum at Anmer Hall and did everything they could to make her feel at home? They personally cooked her favourite vegan food, they couldn’t have been more welcoming.”

The book claims the Cambridges and Sussexes were barely speaking by March and Kate snubbed Meghan at the Commonwealth service at Westminster Abbey – the couples’ final public appearance together.

But a friend of the Cambridges’ claims Kate’s actions were born “out of sheer frustration” at Harry and Meghan’s behaviour as they withdrew from royal life and announced Megxit on Instagram and a new Sussex Royal website.

Other claims in the book include that:

– The Duchess of Sussex felt sorry for her estranged father Thomas Markle, wanted him at her wedding and blamed the media for “corrupting” him.

– Meghan felt let down when her dad lied to her by denying he helped the paparazzi stage photos of him going about his life in a Mexican resort town before her wedding.

– The book gives further glimpses of Meghan’s troubled relationship with Mr Markle, including a string of unreturned phone messages and texts from the former actress to her father in the days before she and Harry married.

– The Cambridges and Sussexes hardly spoke at the Commonwealth service at Westminster Abbey in March, despite not having seen each other since January.

– The Sussexes felt their complaints were not taken seriously and believed other royal households were leaking stories about them to the press.

– Being told to operate under Buckingham Palace’s umbrella after splitting their household from the Cambridges was “a big disappointment” to the Sussexes.

– The Sussexes even considered breaking protocol by springing a surprise visit on the Queen when they believed they were being blocked from seeing the monarch.

A spokesman for Harry and Meghan said the couple did not contribute to the book, but he did not deny the content of The Times’s extracts.

The spokesman added: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to Finding Freedom.

“This book is based on the authors’ own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting.”

The revelations come after the Sussexes launched legal action in her home town of Los Angeles after drones were allegedly used to take pictures of their 14-month-old son Archie.

The family are now living in pal Tyler Perry’s £14 million Tuscan-style mansion after quitting life as senior royals.

A complaint filed at the Los Angeles County Superior Court on Thursday claims an unnamed individual photographed Archie at their home during lockdown.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply