Drinking hand sanitiser leaves three people dead and more fighting for their lives – Latest News


The first case was reported to the New Mexico Poison Control Center on May 7, Mail Online reports.

A seventh person has been left permanently blind after drinking the substance in New Mexico sparking warnings from health officials.

Health officials in New Mexico have issued a warning after all seven people were believed to have drunk the cleaning substance which contains methanol

Three people have died in New Mexico after apparently drinking hand sanitiser containing methanol

Many hand sanitisers contain high levels of alcohol

All were related to alcoholism, experts said noting that hand sanitiser is sometimes consumed for its high alcohol content.

Three people have died and three others are fighting for their lives after allegedly drinking hand sanitiser.

The other cases happened after May 29.

“All seven people are believed to have drunk hand sanitizer containing methanol.”

“In addition to the three people who died, one person is permanently blind, and three others are still in critical condition.

A statement on the New Mexico Department of Health website says: “The New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH) reports three recent deaths from methanol poisoning.

It’s unclear if the hand sanitisers used in the latest incidents are among those on the FDA list.

The announcement came one week after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned consumers not to use nine hand sanitisers made by a Mexican company because of methanol levels.

He said swallowing methanol can be lethal. For those who survive, brain damage or blindness are common side effects because the toxin damages the optic nerve and the brain.

Brandon Warrick, an assistant professor at the University of New Mexico who is certified in addiction, emergency medicine, medical toxicology, told The New York Times that the recent report is that largest number of methanol poisoning cases he’s ever seen.

It may be fatal when inhaled, applied topically or ingested.

“Since hand sanitiser is hard to find in the Covid era, I suspect there is an association with Covid,” Dr Warwick said.

Four additional deaths brought the death toll to 489.

The FDA last week warned Americans to stop using nine hand sanitisers that may be toxic.

On Friday, New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham said that state had 225 new confirmed cases to create a total of 11,408 cases.


About Author

Leave A Reply