Hundreds of Queen’s workers facing chop demand ‘loyalty’ at Windsor Castle protests – Latest News

0

The workers demanded “loyalty” from their employers and held a sign reading: “King Henry cut off heads… now they want to axe our jobs and cut our pensions.”

Royal Collection Trust (RCT) staff staged a protest outside Windsor Castle on Tuesday, September 8.

More than 100 Royal Collection Trust (RCT) staff – who are in charge of royal artwork and public tours at The Queen’s residences – have already taken voluntary redundancy

Royal Collection Trust (RCT) staff, in charge of tours at The Queen’s residences, staged a protest outside Windsor Castle on September 8

The trust employs 600 people, 102 of whom have already taken voluntary redundancy

The Public and Commercial Services Union claims 200 more redundancies could be made

Its workers are represented by the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS), which says 102 of them have so far taken voluntary redundancy.

Hundreds of The Queen’s workers reportedly face the sack, as the coronavirus crisis wreaks havoc on royal staff.

The trust employs 600 people, who are in charge of royal artwork and public tours at Her Majesty’s residences.

Mark Page, industrial officer at PCS, said: “Loyal staff members should not be facing threats like this.

Those who keep their jobs will reportedly face a 7% cut to their non-contributory pensions.

It claims there could also be another 200 compulsory redundancies.

“Profits directly attributed to the very department the Royal Household is now penalising.”

“Even acknowledging the pandemic, vulnerable staff believe the Royal Household has enough assets to ride out the financial storm having had record numbers of ticket sales and retail sales in recent years.

A RCT spokesman said: “Due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the finances of Royal Collection Trust, we have had to take a number of steps to reduce staff-related costs.

The PCS claims the redundancies could have been avoided if staff had been furloughed.

“As well as implementing a pay freeze and offering a voluntary severance programme to employees, we have just completed a period of consultation on a proposed reduction in pension contributions and will be discussing our response with the unions shortly.”

Back in May, Lord Chamberlain Earl Peel – the most senior official of the royal household – reportedly warned staff that income was expected to fall by a third this year, leaving reported losses of £17.8m.

According to The Sun, he said in an email: “We must therefore assume it could still be many weeks, if not months, before we are able to return to business as usual.

“There are undoubtedly very difficult times ahead and we realise many of you will be concerned.”

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply