Primary schools not able to take all pupils until autumn, Gov confirms – Latest News

0

Schools will instead be asked to welcome back as many kids as they can, while ensuring class sizes do not exceed 15 students.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson made the announcement in the House of Commons today.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson made the announcement in the House of Commons today, saying: “We are not able to welcome all primary children back for a full month before the summer”

The Government hopes to have all secondaries to open for “more” pupils in September

Schools were permitted to welcome children from reception, Year One, and Year Six from June 1

Williamson today said: “We continue to follow the best scientific advice and believe that this cautious phased return is the most sensible course of action to take.

Primary schools won’t be able to take all students back before the summer holidays, the Government has confirmed.

“While we are not able to welcome all primary children for a full month before the summer, we continue to work with the sector on the next steps where we’d like to see schools who have the capacity to bring back more children in those smaller class sizes.

The Government hopes to have all secondaries to open for “more” pupils in September.

Schools were permitted to welcome children from reception, Year One, and Year Six from June 1.

“To do so, if they are able to do, before the summer holidays.”

Mr Williamson continued: “The next step of our phased approach will enable secondary schools and colleges to provide some face-to-face support from 15 June for years 10 and years 12 and 16 to 19 students in the first year of a two-year study programme who are due to take key exams next year.

Under the Government’s roadmap for easing the coronavirus lockdown, all children would then “return to schools before the summer for a month if feasible”.

52% of schools that normally accept those year groups were thought be open last week.

“This is such a critical time for those students and this extra support will be in addition to their remote education, which will continue to be the main method of education for them this term.

“As only a quarter of this cohort will be able to attend at any one time in order to limit the risk of transmission, children of critical workers and vulnerable children in all secondary year groups will continue to be able to attend full time.”

Asked if pupils would be available to attend during the summer to catch up, the Prime Minister’s spokesman today said: “We’re looking at what more might be needed to affect pupils supported by closures and when there’s more to say we’ll do so.”

Mr Williamson said students due to take exams next year “will have experienced considerable disruption to their education this year”.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply