Pubs to close in UK town due to coronavirus as fresh lockdown announced by Matt Hancock – Latest News

0

Hospitality venues are being restricted to take away only in the town to curb the spread of Covid-19 in the town, the minister told MPs in parliament on Tuesday afternoon.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock made the statement on Tuesday, affecting all boozers in Bolton, Greater Manchester.

The Health Secretary announced the move affecting boozers in Bolton after at least five businesses in the Greater Manchester town were forced to shut over the weekend

All pubs have been forced to shut in Bolton in response to second wave fears

The Greater Manchester town has seen a surge of cases in recent weeks

Pubs and hospitality venues will now be takeaway only in Bolton

Bolton now has the highest coronavirus rate in England

Bolton said the new restrictions aim to prevent a full lockdown after the town’s infection rate increased to 99 per 100,000 people per week, the highest in England.

A large UK town has been forced to shut all of its pubs again following a surge in coronavirus cases, the government has announced.

It comes after at least five businesses in the town of more than 190,000 had to close over the weekend.

He told the Commons: “It is critical that we maintain our collective commitment to controlling this disease, and social distancing is the first line of defence. While young people are less likely to die from this disease, be in no doubt that they are still at risk.

Speaking in parliament, Hancock warned younger people the “long-term effects can be terrible” for those who get Covid-19.

Those aged between 18 and 49 account for more than 90% of cases, the local authority said.

“The long-term effects can be terrible and of course they can infect others. Six months on many people are still suffering from chronic fatigue, muscle pain, and breathing difficulties, previously fit and healthy people reduced to barely being able to function.

The leader of Bolton Council said at the weekend: “All options are on the table” when it comes to local restrictions as Bolton battles a “sudden” and “extreme” spike in Covid-19 cases.

“A King’s College survey published today shows that 300,000 people in the UK have reported symptoms lasting for more than a month and 60,000 people have been ill for more than three months.”

The council leader was quoted in The Bolton News as saying: “I think nobody at this stage can sensibly rule out anything.

David Greenhalgh, asked by opposition Labour councillor Martin Donaghy, refused to rule out a “total lockdown” of the town again.

“We have to respond when we see the data. Clearly this is a very worrying time for Bolton.

“I think we have to be drawn by the evidence, drawn by the data and take advice from our experts and clinicians and it would be wholly irresponsible for me at this stage to rule anything in or rule anything out.

Coronavirus Bolton

Pints

Coronavirus Bolton

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply