According to local media, six people died of suspected methanol poisoning and four others were rushed to hospital.
Just days before the lockdown booze ban was lifted, a group reportedly drank homemade beer in Masiphuelele township, in Cape Town.
The homemade beer brew is understood to have killed several people and left survivors with severe long-lasting damage to their eyesight after booze was banned in South Africa
The surviving members may have been left with severe damage to their eyesight, according to reports.
Several people in South Africa have died and more were left partially blinded after swigging homemade brew during the coronavirus lockdown.
Sania Rungana, 33, the unemployed widow of victim Tapera Edward Kuseni, told local media: “I am eight months pregnant with two other children, and my husband, our provider, is gone. I honestly do not know what we are going to do now.
Of the survivors, two have since been discharged from hospital while the other two are still receiving treatment.
“We didn’t think anything of the alcohol and the bottles had no writing on them.”
“My husband started drinking on Saturday. He came home and slept and drank again in the evening on Sunday. The person selling the alcohol was our neighbour.
“By that time he was not speaking, he couldn’t see, and didn’t know what was happening.”
She added: “He was supposed to go to work that day. At first I thought he was just hungover, but when I saw that he was getting worse I called the landlord.
By Monday morning, her husband could not speak and he “seemed confused”.
“I went with them to the hospital and we had him [Kuseni] admitted and I came back home, but things started getting worse.
The victim’s brother Richard Chinembiri said: “I was drinking with my brother on Saturday and Sunday. And on Monday morning I was supposed to wake up early and go to the market, but I had a severe headache and I thought I was still hungover.
“The headache was worse and I couldn’t walk properly. I was admitted into hospital the same night my brother died.”
He said: “My eyesight is not good. I can only see things that are close by and I have constant joint pains and headaches. I could have died.”
Even though he was discharged days later, Chinembiri admits he still feels weak.
David Eliya said he also drank the homemade beer over the weekend and woke up feeling terrible on Monday morning.
When he heard that two of his friends had been hospitalised, he also went to False Bay Hospital for checks.