A BRIGHTON primary school has warned parents two people have been told to “self-isolate for 14 days” after coming into contact with someone infected with coronavirus.
Cottesmore St. Mary Catholic primary school has not confirmed if the pair are pupils or members of staff. The school in The Upper Drive in less than three miles from a GP practice which was closed on Monday after a worker was diagnosed with the deadly virus. The letter, sent by headteacher Rachel Breen, which the Daily Express has seen, advises parents the isolation is on the advice of Public Health England and is “a purely precautionary measure”.
Ms Breen said anyone who is worried about the health of their child will be allowed to keep them at home temporarily.
In the letter, she says: “We have been informed that two people from our school have been advised by Public Health England to self-isolate for 14 days after coming into contact with a Coronavirus case.
“I appreciate it may be concerning that people have been told to ‘self-isolate’, however, this is a purely precautionary measure to help reduce the risk of the virus spreading.
“As part of self-isolation neither person is in school.
“At this present time, there is a low risk for anyone attending our school.
“However, if you wish to keep your child off of school at this time, then we will authorise this absence.”
The school has been contacted for further comment.
The development comes a day after the County Oak Medical Centre in the Hollingbury area of Brighton was shut.
Men wearing overall suits, gloves, masks and shoe protecters were seen inside the surgery carrying medical waste containers and cleaning the floors.
A doctor working at the practice in Carden Hill was diagnosed with coronavirus, becoming the latest in a string of cases in the city.
A businessman from Hove in East Sussex is at the centre of the UK outbreak.
Steve Walsh, 53, is thought to have contracted the sickness while at a conference in Singapore.
He is though to have passed it on to five holidaymakers at a French ski resort before flying back to the UK on an EasyJet fight to Gatwick.
Mr Walsh spent two hours at his local pub – The Grenadier – last week before experiencing symptoms and being diagnosed.
Staff at the watering hole have been advised to “self-isolate” by health officials.
Mr Walsh is also linked to one male patient taken ill in Majorca and at least five cases in the UK, including two doctors.
On Tuesday Mr Walsh said he is “fully recovered” after spending the past few days in an infectious disease unit in St Thomas’ Hospital in London.
Speaking from hospital, Mr Walsh, a cub scout leader, said in a statement: “I would like to thank the NHS for their help and care – whilst I have fully recovered, my thoughts are with others who have contracted coronavirus.
“As soon as I knew I had been exposed to a confirmed case of coronavirus, I contacted my GP, NHS 111 and Public Health England.
“I was advised to attend an isolated room at hospital, despite showing no symptoms, and subsequently self-isolated at home as instructed.
“When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to an isolation unit in hospital, where I remain, and, as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate themselves.
“I also thank friends, family and colleagues for their support during recent weeks and I ask the media to respect our privacy.”