HMRC rectify income tax rebate problem – this is what you’ll need to claim your refund


HMRC came under fire last week as it was highlighted that some people could not receive and claim income-tax rebates due to an IT issue. This may have been frustrating for people looking to get a tax rebate but before action can be taken at all, workers should start by checking how much income tax they’ve paid previously.

HMRC were forced to take action last week as it came to light that several customers could not reclaim tax overpayments as normal. It was revealed that their Pay As You Earn (PAYE) repayment system experienced a technical issue.

On June 26, HMRC said the following: “We’re aware of an issue affecting some of our Pay As You Earn customers who are trying to reclaim tax overpayments.

“We are working hard to fix the issue and will update once it is resolved.

“We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers.”

In response to this announcement, several people tweeted their dissatisfaction with what had happened.

Twitter user “Ourfarewell” responded with: “This is a shambles and yet somehow you can still receive payments just not make them?

“Funny that. Are we receiving interest on our late payments?”

User “alexsouthcott” was more sympathetic to the situation but he voiced that the timing couldn’t be worse: “I appreciate you don’t know specifically when it’ll be sorted, but can you please let us know if it’s looking like days or weeks, so peoples can try and plan around it.

“This just couldn’t be happening at a worse time for so many people.”

Thankfully, HMRC confirmed on June 27 that they had fixed the problem: “This issue has now been fixed & the service is now open.

“All customers who have already submitted their repayment request will have the money in their bank by Thursday 2 July, or receive a cheque by Monday 13 July if they requested payment by cheque.”

This announcement from HMRC may have reminded some people to check on getting any potential tax rebates they’re due.

In order to get a tax refund online a person will need a “P800” calculation letter.

On top this, a person will need a government gateway user ID and password handy along with:

  • Their National Insurance number
  • A valid UK passport
  • Details of tax credit payments
  • A P60 from an employer for the last tax year
  • A payslip from the last three months

– There are a number of reasons why a person may expect a PAYE tax refund and some of those reasons will likely become prevalent in the coming months.

Those who were made redundant during the tax year may have already paid more tax than they had needed to and as such, they could look into claiming a refund.

The same circumstances could also be applicable for those who have changed jobs on their own accord.

An employer themselves could also use an incorrect tax code for the employee which would then send the wrong information to HMRC, resulting in incorrect income tax charges.

Workers can head online to check they’re on the correct tax code and fix it if need be.


About Author

Leave A Reply