Pug puppy gets needle and thread stuck in stomach as panicked owner was sewing

0

A puppy was rushed to the vets after swallowing a needle and thread which had fallen onto his owner’s dining room.

Doug, a 10-month-old pug, miraculously survived the ordeal without the need for surgery although the large needle became lodged in his stomach.

His owner Sonia Wheeler, 48, had been sewing at her dining room table in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, when the needle fell onto the floor. Doug swallowed it whole, along with a small thread during lockdown.

The pug was dashed to animal hospital Wear Referrals, in Bradbury, County Durham, where X-rays showed the metal had become stuck in his stomach and he needed emergency treatment.

Sonia, who is a hairdresser, today told Mirror Online: “I was sewing at my dining room table when the needle dropped to the floor – Doug darted straight to the needle and picked it up in his mouth.

“Panic ran through me as he’s a typical puppy who swallows anything you attempt to take from him but it was gone before I knew it.

“Doug was not phased and was his usual bouncy, playful and ever-so-charming self, as though he’d done nothing wrong.

“The opportunity for him to have the needle removed without having surgery was fantastic to hear.”

Vets safely removed the needle and thread without any surgery and Doug has since made a full recovery. He’s now back home with his owners.

“Doug has recovered remarkably well and is back to his cheeky little self, with a love of cuddles, sunshine and the outdoors,” Sonia added.

Chiara Giannasi, internal medicine clinician at Wear Referrals, led Doug’s treatment and carried out an endoscopy to remove the offending object.

She said: “Little Doug had somehow managed to swallow quite a large needle and attached thread, which obviously caused his owners considerable worry.

“We anaesthetised Doug on arrival and removed the needle and thread from his stomach via endoscopy, which is a flexible tube with a camera on the end and avoids the need for surgery.

“Doug coped exceptionally well with the procedure and after an overnight stay with us so we could keep him under observation, he went home to his family the next day”.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply