Newcastle United’s sale to Saudi Arabian owners must be blocked due to the country’s human rights abuses, MPs have said.
The Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund led by Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman wants to buy an 80 per cent stake.
But the deal has been blighted by the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at a Saudi consulate in Turkey in 2018.
Lib Dem MP Daisy Cooper said: “The Premier League must stand up and stop this takeover.”
SNP culture spokesman John Nicolson added: “Khashoggi’s widow is right when she says this takeover would be a stain on the Premier League.”
Last month the World Trade Organisation also ruled Saudi broke piracy laws with the broadcast of Premier League matches.
On Thursday, we revealed that Saudi Arabia have risked wrecking their £300million buy-out of Newcastle United, as the takeover saga took a bizarre twist.
The deal was expected to be given the nod by the Premier League imminently.
But the Saudi government on Tuesday banned beIN Sports, who pay the Premier League £500m to broadcast games in the Middle East, in a move branded “nonsensical and contrary to international law.”
Sources had expected the final pieces of the takeover jigsaw to fall into place in the coming days.
That included beIN Sport being allowed on Saudi screens, and the Premier League permitted to proceed with a legal case against piracy in the state.
If the Saudi’s are allowed to buy Newcastle they will hold a share in the Premier League… whose rights holders and valued partners they have just officially banned.
The Premier League has stalled on approving the Saudi state Public Investment Fund as appropriate owners, with an 80pc stake.
They fought to shut down Saudi-based pirate channel beoutQ for almost three years.