US protests leave one dead amid clashes with police and militia on the streets


Chaos descended on a divided America’s streets again as protesters clashed with police across the country on Saturday.

One person was shot and killed at a Black Lives Matter protest in Austin Texas, a woman was knocked down when a jeep drove into a crowd of protesters in Aurora, Colorado, while another group in Seattle set fire to a juvenile detention site.

Dramatic images from Louisville, Kentucky, saw heavily armed BLM protesters calling for justice for a woman killed by police in her own home in a stand off with a far-right militia group. 

Other skirmishes took place in Portland, Oregon and Richmond, Virginia.

They’re just the latest in a series of tense incidents in the US, still reeling from the death of the unarmed black man George Floyd, killed while he was being arrested by police.

And it comes as Donald Trump threatens to deploy federal forces in unmarked cars and unidentified forces to crackdown on anti-racism protests.

A march in Aurora, for a black man who died after being put in a chokehold in police custody in Denver, turned violent when a jeep drove into a crowd.

The event started with 500 people paying tribute to Elijah McClain, but at around 7pm local time a blue vehicle drove towards a group walking along the highway.

One of the protesters pulled out a gun but ended up shooting another person in the crowd in the leg, instead of the jeep.

Later in the evening around 150 protesters advanced on police and buildings with makeshift weapons including a broken barrier and umbrellas.

They destroyed a spiked metal fence surrounding the Aurora Police Department headquarters, letting off fireworks.

There were astonishing scenes in Louisville, as heavily armed BLM supporters held a demonstration demanding justice for Breonna Taylor, a black woman killed in March by police officers who raided her home.

The so-called NFCA (Not F**cking Around Coalition) were clad with black paramilitary gear and carried semi-automatic rifles and shotguns.

They were separated by police from a smaller group of armed counter-protesters, members of the far-right, white militia the Three Percenters.

Three members of the NFAC were hit by gunfire during the protest and were taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Ms Taylor was killed after sustaining multiple gun wounds when drug investigators used a ’no-knock’ warrant to enter her home where she was sleeping.

Leader of the NFAC, John “Grandmaster Jay” Johnson, called on officials to speed up the investigation into Ms Taylor’s death and to be more transparent.

He told US media: ”If you don’t tell us nothing we going to think you ain’t doing nothing.”

One person was killed in Austin when several shots were fired during another BLM protest.

Video footage posted on Facebook Live showed the moment when several shots rang out as a group of about 100 people marched and chanted “fists up! Fight back!”

Horrifying scenes of ‘chemical agents’ used by police to disperse crowds in Richmond have been shared on social media.

Police blasted the crowd after declaring the assembly ‘unlawful’.

One person who was at the scene wrote on Twitter : “[I] was pouring milk into my eyes as I was disoriented and blinded by tear gas when the police was trying to detain us.

“After showing our credentials and being released, I asked for some space from the officers around me as one got in my face and repeatedly said no.”

And in Seattle, Washington, tensions boiled over as protesters set the site of a youth detention centre alight.

Fire fighters battled to contain the huge flames blowing out from a construction site near the King County Juvenile Detention Facility.

Around 2,000 protesters took to the streets including Wall of Moms, a group of women linking arms in front of federal officers in the belief they would never be shot at with tear gas.


About Author

Leave A Reply