Boy, 4, drowns on Thomas Cook holiday after sneaking into the adults-only pool

0

An inquest heard that Isaac Webster had drowned after he snuck into the adults-only pool while his mother was looking for sun cream on their holiday in Egypt.

A four-year-old boy drowned in a tragic swimming accident after he sneaked into an adults-only pool during a Thomas Cook holiday in Egypt.

Isaac Webster’s mum had been looking for sun cream when he snuck away from the kid’s poo and went to the larger pool after squeezing through a gap in a safety barrier.

The youngster was found lying face down in the water just minutes later when his mother Kelly Harvey raised the alarm.

Isaac was rushed to hospital but died two days later in April 2017 after contracting infections in his lungs and airways because of the amount of water he had swallowed.

An inquest heard the tragedy occurred on April 19 after Isaac’s family, from Great Sankey, Warrington, Cheshire booked an all inclusive package trip to the five star Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada.

According to Ms Harvey, her husband and other sons had gone to a welcome meeting with their dad while Isaac had stayed with her that morning as he wanted to play outside.

In front of the sunbeds was the kids pool and after a thin barrier was the adults-only pool.

She said: “ The kids pool was separate and there was a barrier that didn’t go all the way around the pool. You could easily get out of it and go into the adult one – there was a thin barrier.

But according to Ms Harvey, no hotel staff were supervising either pools when she noticed Isaac was missing.

She said: “There wasn’t any lifeguards that we could see or any hotel staff supervising.

“I turned round to get some sun cream and turned back and couldn’t see him. Was just looking around and there were lots of kids in the pool.

“Then we got into the pool and started walking around. I got out and tried to find somebody and noticed a lifeguard walking through the sunbeds.

“He got in the pool with me but didn’t even ask what Isaac looked like and said he wasn’t there, said he will turn up.

“As soon as I got out of the pool I saw Isaac floating in the middle of the adult one.”

Miss Harvey added: “It took a long time for the ambulance to come, about 25 to 30 minutes. The doctors in the hospital didn’t tell me anything, they never spoke. I had a German lady who was more interested in the insurance details.

“The evening before he passed away the situation was worsening. He had a severe chest infection and couldn’t control his temperature and was still on the ventilator.

They wouldn’t let us in the room and in the morning he was still very poorly and a doctor came out and spoke to Andy. And passed on the news that Isaac had passed away.”

Mark Jordan, Director for health, safety and security at Thomas Cook, said: “Thomas Cook provided service representatives but did not own, manage or control the hotel’s facilities or its staff. I have no record of any previous similar incidents at this hotel.

“The hotel management have confirmed by email they are also not aware of any previous similar incidents.”

Recording a narrative conclusion Coroner Alan Moore, said: “Isaac Webster was a fit, healthy and very active four-year-old boy. It is likely that he has gone between the two pools using the gap in the barrier.

“Isaac has died because of the drowning episode in the pool. Though it didn’t cause his death at the time, he took in water clearly and the taking in of that had been an important factor which contributed to Isaacs overall deterioration.

“I am really sorry we have to meet this way. It must have been absolutely heartbreaking for you.”

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply