Brits’ fury as cops start to SHUT DOWN iconic party strip after pics of drunk tourists vomiting in streets

0

BRITS in Magaluf have vented their fury as Spanish cops begin to shut down the Punta Ballena party strip after drunk hooligans wrecked a car last week.

Tourism Minister Lago Negueruela announced the move Wednesday saying police would be mobilised to make sure all businesses including bars and restaurants in the raucous street closed their doors.

Pictures show police patrolling the notorious party zone as businesses closed their shutters – ruining the plans of thousands of holidaymakers.

The dramatic move comes after British youngsters were filmed jumping on a parked car in the notorious party area in the early hours of Friday morning leading to one arrest.

More than £2,200 of damage was done to the vehicle, leading locals to brand the Brit hooligans “sons of b****es.”

Officials had earlier said the “disgraceful” behaviour witnessed in recent days would not be acceptable at any time, but particularly not during a public health crisis.

Pictures from Magaluf showed clearly drunken tourists, none of them wearing masks or social distancing, slumped on public benches and clambering on cars.

Businesses, which only recently reopened following the coronavirus lockdown, are now being forced to shut until September 15.

And the regional government has made it clear it reserves the right to extend the date past September.

It is not yet clear if business owners affected by the “historic” decision will appeal and be able to overturn it in the courts.

Two other party strips in S’Arenal east of Palma which are less popular with Brits, have also been told to close.

Brit holidaymakers and Majorca residents expressed their disgust at the decision on social media.

Ryan Lee, resident DJ at Coco Bongos Magaluf, wrote: “Looks pretty official now guys. Strip to close. Few f***ing idiots ruined it for everyone.

“I feel bad for everyone. We were just starting to get it back on its feet.”

Brit Michael Fin Brookes said: “The Red Lion pub on Punta Ballena strip says deffo shut.

“If they open its a €60,000 fine.”

Kerry Brogan Thomas wrote on Facebook: “Is it true the strip is getting closed for approximately two months following on from breaching social distance rules and poor behaviour?

“If this is the case I’ll be moving our trip for the third time this year.”

Jake Patterson posted: “I was meant to be flying out on the 16th of next month. Now the strip is closed is it worth coming?”

Matty Hadikin, criticising the youngsters filmed jumping on the car on Friday, said: “To be honest them dickheads in that video are acting ridiculous.

“Where is that going to get any of us moving forward?”

Wayne Mullally added: “People shouldn’t judge an entire resort on a few idiots.”

Announcing the decision, Negueruela said: “All commercial establishments, bars and restaurants in these streets will have to close today.

“We cannot tolerate the sort of images we have been seeing over the last few days and we are not going to tolerate it.

“Our tourist and economic activity depends on our image.

“If tourists are not prepared to obey these rules then we ask them not to come to our islands.”

The decision to close the streets followed a meeting held with local hoteliers and unions.

Following the meeting, Negueruela pledged to “do all the necessary actions so that this does not happen” and protect the “health security of our citizens [and]economic situation of our workers”.

Minister of Public Administration Isabel Castro added: “We cannot allow the efforts of all citizens to be jeopardised by the breaches of a few.”

She also called on Spain’s government to help reinforce security in tourist areas in future.

“We must increase the number of police officers that were activated every summer. They are more than necessary, ” she said.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply