Brits wander ‘ghost town’ Magaluf after all bars and restaurants on famous strip shut down amid drunken chaos

0

BRITS have been seen wandering the “ghost town” of Magaluf after the bars and restaurants on the famous strip were closed following drunken chaos.

Holidaymakers and business owners are reportedly furious that local authorities have closed the iconic Punta Ballena strip due to coronavirus concerns.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

Only two shops are reportedly open on the strip with local police ordering people to wear masks and closing any business that refuses to comply.

A mask mandate has been in force since July 10 despite locals claiming wearing face coverings could kill tourism altogether, suggesting the move would “push them [holidaymakers]to opt for other sunshine staycations.”

Cops immediately cracked down on boozy Brits after grim scenes in the party paradise last week.

Drunk yobs were snapped vomiting in the streets and tourists were pictured jumping on cars, ignoring the island’s social distancing regulations.

Tourism Minister Lago Negueruela announced the crackdown saying cops would be mobilised to ensure all bars and restaurants closed their doors.

Pictures showed police patrolling the notorious party zone as businesses closed their shutters – ruining the plans of thousands of holidaymakers.

Just days after the nightclubs in Punta Ballena locked their doors, a group of 30 lads were recorded brawling on a nearby street after they were refused access to one of the premises.

The scenes were dubbed the “new normality” for Magaluf, words that Spanish PM Pedro Sanchez has used to describe life after the pandemic.

Officials feared that the pandemic would end booze-fuelled tourism but that was before Spain opened its borders to international tourism.

The crackdown has not been welcomed by local businesses.

“What they are trying to do is change the type of tourist they get in Magaluf,” said David, 40, the owner of a tattoo parlour.

“The closure has nothing to do with what happened when the young people were seen jumping on the car. It’s an excuse,” he told the Daily Record.

“We are in a trouble – our businesses are on the edge already,” he said.

The family of Daniel Hernandez-Chetland, 42, blasted the decision to close the strip.

“I think this is politics. Why have they only shut the strip and why didn’t they give us [a]fair warning,” they said.

“We were doing everything correctly then suddenly the police turned up and told us we were shutting.”

The closures have reportedly devastated bar owners who have called the move a huge “slap in the face.”

Alejandro Jara, owner of the Alex Party group said: “250 workers from my company have been put on the streets.”

Thousands of Brits could have to quarantine on their return as the country is on the brink of being deemed unsafe.

Spain has been hit with a fresh outbreak of coronavirus, with cases up threefold since the end of their lockdown in June.

On Monday, the country saw a huge jump of 4,581 new virus cases.

More than 200 localised clusters of the virus have appeared since June.

Holidaymakers now risk being forced to undergo border measures on their return and a decision to throw Spain or parts of the country off the safe list could be made by the end of this week.

Three week reviews of the quarantine-free links will be formally ditched in a favour of a new “rolling system” next week, it’s reported.

Paul Charles, CEO of travel consultancy The PC Agency, said: “It makes sense that if cases continue to rise in Spain, it should fall off the list.

“This is the equivalent of implementing a local lockdown, internationally, but the problem is we are heading into peak holiday season.”

Spain has confirmed 28,429 coronavirus deaths, with more than 317,246 cases.

 

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply