Dad who marched rapist son, 18, to cops says it was ‘right thing to do’


THE dad who marched his rapist son to the police has said it was the “right thing to do”.

Jonathan Evans, 47, found out what his teenage son had done and forced him to confess.

He told the Mirror: “I would do the same thing again, I would have to because that is my moral standing on it, it is painful but it is right.

“You cannot get on with your life if you live your life under a lie, as much as this hurts it is the right thing to do.”

He added outside Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court: “I wanted him to tell the truth, he had to do the right thing and admit his guilt.

“It’s been difficult for all of us and it’s caused quite a few arguments.

‘I’ve said to him that the best thing for him is to show everyone that you’re doing your best to rectify what has happened.”

Jack Evans, 18, almost got away with the sex attack because his victim didn’t make a complaint.

He apologised to her by text two months later, but his horrified dad saw the message and insisted he confess.

Police later tracked down his victim who told them: “He raped me.”

The takeaway restaurant worker had persuaded her to have sex.

She changed her mind at the last minute but he carried on, a court heard.

Prosecutor Claire Pickthall said: “He carried on anyway despite her telling him to stop and trying to push him off.

“She didn’t make a complaint but two months later Evans and his stepmother turned up at a police station to say what had happened.”

The victim, who was a virgin, said she was left feeling “worthless” and unable to trust men again.

He was 17 at the time but became an adult before he was charged.

Evans, of Pontypool, South Wales, was jailed for two years and ordered to register as a sex offender at Merthyr Tydfil crown court.

Gareth Williams, defending, asked for a suspended sentence because of the “exceptional circumstances”.

He said: “It is extremely rare for anyone to admit to such a serious offence without there being a complaint.”

But Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke said there were aggravating features and Evans had to be locked up.

She told him: “Two months after the rape you apologised to your victim and said you understood why she was upset.

“But that text came came to the attention of your father and mother who took you to a police station.

“You told an officer your name and said you’d had sex with the young woman.”

Evans mouthed “I love you” to his tearful mother Deniz Stewart in the public gallery as he was led to the cells.


About Author

Leave A Reply