Fire eating nurse burned during NHS Got Talent fundraiser

0

An NHS talent show had to be abandoned after a nurse suffered serious burns on stage while performing a fire eating act.

Kristy Cullum was badly injured as she entertained an audience of 210 people at the Theatre Royal in Winchester, Hampshire.

Luckily, she was able to receive immediate attention as there were many doctors and other medical staff in the audience.

The annual ‘NHS Got Talent’ show was abandoned after Ms Cullum’s accident during the first half.

The talent show will be re-scheduled so each of the acts can perform and raise money for the Winchester Hospice Appeal.

Ms Cullum was taken by ambulance to the specialist burns unit at Salisbury District Hospital, Wiltshire, where she remains.

Audience member Liz Baldwin posted on Facebook: ‘It was very distressing and we haven’t stopped thinking about the performer and wishing her a speedy recovery.’

Another, Frances Douglas, said: ‘This horrendous moment will be difficult to forget.

‘We are all still in shock but hope she recovers from her trauma.’

Alex Whitfield, chief executive of the trust, which runs several hospitals including the Royal Hampshire County in Winchester issued a statement.

She said: ‘Sadly there was an accident during the NHS’ Got Talent show at the Theatre Royal Winchester on Saturday June 8.

‘One of the performers, a member of staff from our Trust, suffered serious burns.

‘A number of our clinicians were present at the time and able to help immediately but the performer is currently being treated by experts at Salisbury District Hospital’s specialist burns service.

‘This was upsetting for everybody involved and we all wish our colleague a quick recovery. The decision was quickly made to stop the show, which was a fundraising event for the Winchester Hospice appeal.’

A spokesman from the New Theatre Royal added: ‘The Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust hired the Theatre Royal Winchester on Saturday night to present their NHS’ Got Talent show once again this year.

‘This time it was a fundraising event for the Winchester Hospice Appeal.

‘Unfortunately at the end of the first half one of their staff performing had an accident and suffered serious burns.

‘She was treated promptly and the emergency services then took over and she left the building on foot to go to the ambulance.

‘The correct decision was then taken not to continue with the show.’

 

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply