HARRY and Meghan secretly got engaged on a trip to Botswana two months BEFORE they officially told the world they would wed, a new book sensationally claims.
In August 2017, The Sun’s world exclusive photos showed the smitten couple arriving on holiday together there.
⚠️Read our Meghan and Harry blog for the latest news on the Royal couple.
And at the time, a royal source told us: “Who knows what will happen when they’re watching a sensational African sunset together?
“Maybe he’ll get down on one knee.”
Yesterday The Sunday Times, which is serialising Finding Freedom, said Harry’s relationship with brother Wills began to falter “shortly before the couple became secretly engaged in August 2017”.
Further details of the lovers’ trip are likely to emerge when the book is published on August 11.
In our report we told how Meghan, 38, had flown to London from her home in Toronto, Canada, after filming the last episode of what would be her last Suits series.
She met Harry, 35, before jetting on to Botswana, where she gave the besotted prince a huge kiss before they set out on holiday together.
Until now the couple have always claimed their engagement took place over a low-key roast chicken dinner in November 2017.
But the book is expected to reveal their wedding plans were already a done deal.
In a TV interview with the BBC’s Mishal Hussain, Harry claimed: “It happened earlier this month, just a standard typical night for us.”
Actress Meghan replied; “Just a cosy night, we were just roasting chicken.”
And later she added: “It was just an amazing surprise, it was so sweet and natural and very romantic. He got on one knee.
Harry joked: “Of course!”
This weekend we told how Harry and Meghan were branded a pair of “whingers” over their long list of gripes in a bombshell biography.
As Buckingham Palace stayed silent, more details emerged of the Sussexes’ complaints about royal life.
They were said to have been furious at Harry losing his military titles and being snubbed by William and Kate, among other whines.
The book says the Sussexes, who were given Frogmore Cottage, were also angry at being barred from establishing their own team in Windsor, separate from all others.
It says: “Senior officials quickly ruled out that option.”
More offence was taken at Harry and Meghan’s final joint royal engagement — for the Commonwealth Day Service in Westminster Abbey on March 9.
They were not included in the procession of senior royals, with sources saying it was because they were stepping down.
But the book says: “The decision had been made without their consultation. This year it would be the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince of Wales, and the Duchess of Cornwall walking through the abbey with the Queen.
“It felt intentional. ‘Harry was more than disappointed,’ a friend said.”