MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry could soon no longer be known as Duchess and Duke of Sussex in the Brighton region following a petition launched by an outraged resident which has gathered enough traction to force the council to discuss the issue.
Meghan and Prince Harry became the Duchess and Duke of Sussex on May 19 last year, after they married in Windsor’s St George’s Chapel, with the Queen handing them the title. But one resident in the council of Brighton and Hove has launched a petition asking his council, Brighton and Hove, to stop referring to the Sussexes with their royal titles, as previously reported by Express.co.uk.
As the online petition, running from July 1 until today, has exceeded the minimum number of signatures required by the council to debate the issue, councillors will meet on Thursday to discuss the proposal.
Earlier this autumn, it had initially been reported the issue would have been discussed on October 24.
In his petition, Mr Ross asked to ditch the use of the royal titles when addressing Harry and Meghan, saying they are not democratic and represent a “symbol of oppression of the general public.”
The full petition read: “We the undersigned petition Brighton & Hove Council to reject the usage of the titles ‘Duke of Sussex’ and ‘Duchess of Sussex’ by the individuals Henry (‘Harry’) Windsor and Rachel Meghan Markle as morally wrong and disrespectful to the county of East Sussex.
“As residents of Brighton and Hove we call on Brighton and Hove Council to not refer to these individuals by such titles which we believe to be entirely non democratic and symbolic of the oppression of the general public by the wealthy elite.”
The petition also asks the council to no longer “invite or entertain” Meghan and Harry “above and beyond that of an ordinary member of the public”.
It continued: “The petition aims to establish a precedent that Brighton and Hove Council will no longer afford official hospitality to those with Royal or aristocratic titles nor make usage of those titles in official documents as these titles are arbitrarily and unfairly acquired.”
This proposal has gathered, to date, 3841 signatures.
The petition has been deemed “unfair” by Rob Jobson, royal editor at Sunrise, an Australian news TV show.
He said: “It’s a bit unfair on them – they were there recently and massive crowds turned out.
“The Cambridges don’t live in Cambridge, Prince Charles doesn’t live in Wales…
“The titles are just ancient titles that are dished out by the Queen at marriage.”
Meghan and Harry visited Sussex only once, in February.
On the day, the couple attracted a major crowd of royal fans in the cities they went to, including Chichester, Bognor and Brighton.
A local resident complained this motion, which will be the fifth item discussed on Thursday by councillors, will represent a “waste of time” for the council.
She told the MailOnline: “Our city has serious social problems and the council is going to waste time on the sentiment of a disgruntled citizen with nothing better to do than come up with a useless petition.
“There are financial aspects of the monarchy that can usefully be discussed.
“I for one can confidently say I have never felt the slightest bit oppressed by the fact that we now have as part of our Royal Family, a Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
Express.co.uk has contacted Brighton & Hove council for a comment, with a spokesman saying the council won’t comment on the meeting after the matter has been discussed by councillors.