A MUM has told of her horror after her son was unable to wake up following a spinal injury that left him paralysed.
Mason, three, would turn “floppy and blue” from the mysterious spinal injury.
Mum Nicole Earp had to watch paramedics perform CPR on her little boy and take him away in ambulance to a high-dependency unit.
Nicole, from Hartshorne, Derbys, told DerbyshireLive: “It was petrifying.”
Mason was rushed to Sheffield Children’s Hospital in November where doctors thought he had a muscular disorder and was put on a ventilator in intensive care.
Doctors discovered he had a spinal injury that was caused by an usual way his spine had developed.
He had an operation to decompress his spine, but it left him paralysed from the neck down.
Little Mason has come a long way since December and even though he has “regained movement”, he is “still very weak.”
Nicole said: “It takes a lot for him to do something and it has affected his breathing so much, but he can sit up on his own now and he surprises us all the time.
“They don’t know how much he will recover but if I’m being honest I didn’t think he would ever move again, so we’re going in the right direction.”
The entire ordeal has left Mason scared of meeting new people because “he was constantly prodded and poked by doctors”.
Nicole said he’s still got a “cheeky smile”, despite his difficutl year.
Mason will needs 24-hour care and fund-raising page has been set up to help fund that.
More than £1,000 has so far been donated.