Patient died unaware he was slowly bleeding to death ‘after having wisdom teeth removed two weeks earlier’


A MAN slowly bled to death over a FORTNIGHT after having his wisdom teeth taken out.

The 26-year-old shared photos of bloodstained blankets on the internet days after the procedure, which took place at a dental hospital in China.

Now victim Liu Guofan’s family are accusing dentists in Hunan Province of malpractice – and say he told them: “I think I’m going to die.”

Mr Liu had his teeth removed at Changsha Stomatological Hospital on May 25.

But five days later, he took to Chinese forum Zhihu to describe his mouth being “full of blood”.

He said in posts on the forum that he’d been bleeding non-stop “for days” – and shared graphic images of tissues and blankets stained with blood.

He returned to the hospital for more stitches the following day.

But his sister Liu Huan told Chinese media agency Red Star News he continued to bleed, and on June 4, he was taken to hospital.

The following day, he was taken to intensive care – but he died on June 9.

Hospital records say the cause of his death was sepsis and brain herniation caused by a cerebral haemorrhage.

Ms Liu said: “He even joked with me, saying: ‘I’m bleeding so much, I think I’m going to die – don’t forget to help me pay off my mortgage when I do.’

“On 4th June, he felt so ill that he tried to drive himself to hospital.

“He stopped halfway and was found by the police. They took him there in the end.”

Mr Liu’s doctor was told of his continuous bleeding and was the one who suggested he return for more stitches.

But the medic “did not take his condition seriously”, Ms Liu claimed.

Medical records from Changsha Central Hospital show Mr Liu he had a fever and a high white blood count – both signs that his body was fighting an infection.

A further report concluded that Mr Liu was likely to have been suffering with acute myeloid leukaemia.

The cancer makes patients more susceptible to infections and can be fatal within weeks if left untreated.

Ms Liu said her brother’s body was cremated the day after his death and taken back home to their native province of Hubei.

It means a bone marrow test cannot be performed to confirm the leukaemia diagnosis.

Ms Liu, however, believes her brother’s dental surgeon is to blame, and said he may have missed crucial treatment.

She said: “We think the hospital is in the wrong.

“That’s why I’ve been trying to communicate with them.

“My brother told his dental surgeon about his condition, but he never took him seriously or provided any proper guidance.

“He missed his chance to be treated as a result.”

Ms Liu and representatives from the dental hospital are to meet with Changsha’s medical disputes arbitration committee tomorrow, according to reports.

Hospital officials claim the result of the case will depend on whether Mr Liu’s doctor had knowledge of his underlying condition, and whether he performed due diligence before surgery.

Changsha Stomatological Hospital did not respond to request for comment.


About Author

Leave A Reply