Screwfix customer dies after ‘altercation’ inside store after man, 24, arrested over incident


A MAN has died after a row with another customer at a DIY store.

Andrew Webster, 51, had an “altercation” with another man at the Screwfix shop in Gateway Trade Park, Warrington last Thursday.

He suffered serious injuries and was left in a critical condition, fighting for his life in hospital.

He later died, and cops have arrested a 24-year-old man in connection with the row.

A tent and police cordon were around the Screwfix store last Thursday while cops investigated.

Mr Webster was rushed to Aintree hospital after an air ambulance was flown to the scene.

A Cheshire Police spokesperson said: “A man who was seriously injured in an assault in Warrington has sadly died.

“Shortly after 10am on Thursday 2 July police were called to reports of an altercation between two men on Gateway Trade Park, Kerfoot Street, Warrington.

“Officers attended the scene and found a 51-year-old man with serious injuries.

“Andrew Webster from Warrington was taken to hospital but sadly died. His family are being supported by specialist officers.

“As part of enquiries into the circumstances a 24-year-old man was arrested and has since been released on bail pending further enquiries.”

Detective Sergeant Candice Sivori said cops believe the row was an “isolated incident”.

“We have an increased police presence in the area to provide reassurance and I would urge anyone with any concerns to speak to an officer,” she said.

“While we have made an arrest we are continuing to appeal for information from the public.

“We’re keen to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident, or anyone with any information which may assist with our investigation.

“The same goes for anyone who was driving in the area at the time of the incident and thinks they may have dashcam footage which may be relevant to the investigation.

“I’d urge anyone with any information to contact Cheshire Police on 101 quoting IML-744483.”


About Author

Leave A Reply