Shocking moment mass beer garden brawl erupts on Super Saturday as revellers trade punches


A MASS brawl erupted outside a boozer in Tamworth on Super Saturday as pubs reopened for the first time in 104 days.

Boozers were seen swinging punches outside the Three Tuns pub in Tamworth as scenes turned ugly when lockdown restrictions were eased.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

An onlooker told the Sun Online: “It was rammed in Tamworth. It was chaos and felt just like normal.

“There were lots of police around but they didn’t make any attempt to try and move people on.”

As Brits flocked to pubs yesterday, a police chief warned it was “crystal clear” boozers were not observing social distancing rules.

John Apter, Chair of the Police Federation, said he dealt with “naked men, happy drunks, angry drunks, fights and more angry drunks” on shift in Southampton.

He said: “What was crystal clear is that drunk people can’t/won’t socially distance.

“It was a busy night but the shift managed to cope. I know other areas have had issues with officers being assaulted.”

Richard Cooke, chair of the West Midlands Police Federation, predicted a second wave was round the corner.

He tweeted: “Just got home after a long shift late shift peppered with pub fights, domestic violence and drunken drugged up fools.

“If today was anything to go by the ‘second wave’ won’t be long in the making.”

There was disorder in north Nottinghamshire too, where four people were arrested and several pubs decided to close after alcohol related anti-social behaviour.

Inspector Craig Berry from Nottinghamshire Police said: “Officers were quickly on the scene to deal with a number of alcohol related anti-social behaviour reports including a smashed window and minor assault.

“As a result four arrests were made by officers and we supported licensees who chose to close their own premises.”

A pub in Narborough, Leicestershire, also had to shut early after a punter was assaulted and suffered neck injuries.

Meanwhile a vicious brawl broke out on the High Street in Brentwood, Essex, where another four people were arrested.

Special Inspector Steve Weaver tweeted: “That didn’t last long. Disturbance in Brentwood High street assisted other units.

“4 people arrested. 2 of my team have arrested and are currently on the way to custody.”

Devon and Cornwall Police received more than 1,000 reports, most of which were “drink-related”.

Boris Johnson and government experts had urged people to stick to the rules to avoid creating a second wave of coronavirus, with chief medical officer for England Chris Whitty saying easing lockdown is not “risk free”.

Images from London’s Soho showed packed streets into the early hours of Sunday.

However Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he was “pleased” with how people had behaved yesterday.

He told Sky News: “From what I’ve seen, although there’s some pictures to the contrary, very very largely people have acted responsibly.

“Overall, I’m pleased with what happened yesterday.”

Pubs shut their doors in March when they were ordered to temporarily close, but the Government gave the green light to start serving again yesterday.

Pubs nationwide now look a lot different to before they closed in March — with one-way systems, masked staff, screens, and customers ordering drinks via apps.


About Author

Leave A Reply