MADRID, July 23 (Xinhua) — Spain’s Superior Sports Committee (CSD) has accused Spanish second division team CF Fuenlabrada of a “serious error” in traveling to play Deportivo La Coruna on Monday.
The government body issued a communique late on Wednesday night in relation to the game which had to be suspended after seven members of the Fuenlabrada squad and three members of the club’s technical staff tested positive for COVID-19.
The postponement of the game has caused great controversy in Spain, as it was part of the last round of this season’s matches and the rest of the day’s play went ahead as planned.
Those results saw Deportivo relegated to the third tier of the Spanish game without even kicking a ball, while Fuenlabrada know that a draw would assure them of a top-six finish.
Deportivo and Elche, who are currently sixth, have both said that the decision has “adulterated” the competition in giving Fuenlabrada an unfair advantage, while the CSD says that Fuenlabrada’s decision to travel knowing the club had seen a player test positive for COVID-19 “put the health of its players, the public in general and the competition” at risk.
“What is even more serious is that the club and La Liga knew at 22:30 on Sunday that there had been three more positives. That should have seen the relevant authorities alerted, but the Health Department in the Community of Madrid were not informed,” explained the CSD.
There is still no date for the game to be played, if indeed it will be played at all. Meanwhile, the first leg of the promotion play-off between Girona and Almeria has been postponed and is now unlikely to be played until August, meaning that not only are Fuenlabrada, Deportivo and Elche affected by the incident, but also the three sides who had already been assured of a playoff spot. Enditem