MONTEVIDEO, June 15 (Xinhua) — Uruguay’s first division football clubs have resumed training as they prepare for a return to competition after a three-month coronavirus hiatus.
Only Cerro Largo was prevented from restarting activities on Monday because the results of their COVID-19 tests have yet to be analyzed, according to the Uruguayan Football Association (AUF). Montevideo City Torque started training a week ago, having met sanitary requirements ahead of schedule.
“We are back with all of the necessary preventative measures and care for each player, respecting all of the protocols,” reigning first division champions Club Nacional said in a tweet.
Their Montevideo rivals, Penarol, posted several images on social media under the title, “We’re back”.
Uruguay’s first division was halted on March 13, two days after the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic.
The AUF said last week that matches would resume behind closed door on August 15. However officials have since said that date could be brought forward pending the local epidemic curve.
Rentistas lead the Liga Uruguaya Apertura standings with three wins from as many matches, four points ahead of second-placed Progreso.
Uruguay has reported 848 coronavirus cases, 23 of which have been fatal, according to government statistics. Enditem