Andy Murray was “getting closer” to a comeback before the coronavirus forced the shutdown of tennis, his coach has claimed.
The former world No.1 missed the Australian Open with the pelvic injury which ended his season at the Davis Cup last November.
The Scot had targeted a return to action at the Miami Open last month but the cancellation of Wimbledon now means there will be no tournaments until at least July 13.
Jamie Delgado, who revealed Murray had started training on clay before the shutdown, said: “We were discussing his comeback. There was no decision made. He is getting closer. If the tour was there normally, don’t know what exact tournament he was going to come back playing.
“But he has been practising the last two to three weeks and in my opinion he was making good progress. That was good news.
“This was the latest thing we needed with Andy getting close to playing again – this virus coming along.
“He has been at home with his family. There is only so much you can do. There has been no tennis practise. We will just have to wait and see how the restrictions are going forward for everyone.”
Murray’s former coach Amelie Mauresmo has called for the whole 2020 tennis season to be cancelled.
“It’s such an international, global sport,” she told ATP Radio. “It might be the one that takes the longest to get back on its feet, because it requires so many players, coaches, officials and sponsors to fly in from all different parts of the globe.
“You cannot have any restrictions from any countries to make these events happen. It’s not like a domestic football league if everybody is here and you can play it and get on with matches. No-one needs to fly in or fly out. For tennis it will take longer I think.”