LUKE CAMPBELL faces a horrible fight to convince his terrified son that a world-title dream is worth risking his life for.
Hull’s Olympic 2012 golden boy has fallen short in two attempts at a lightweight crown, against future hall-of-fame stars Jorge Linares and Vasiliy Lomachenko.
But the 32-year-old remains as driven as ever to land a 9st 9lb title — and is chasing a fight with Mexico’s latest powerhouse Ryan Garcia for the WBC’s interim strap.
However, nothing could have prepared Campbell for his eldest son Leo, 10, reminding him of the terrifying risks his job involves.
Campbell said: “Neither of my boys want me to box anymore, they both tell me they want me to quit.
“My eldest even said to me, ‘Dad, did you know a couple of boxers died after fighting last year? I don’t want you to get hurt — I want you to stop now’.
“It was horrible. But I had to explain that I am just not finished with this sport yet.
“So I promised him that as soon as I achieve my dream and win that world title, I will quit. I won’t carry on for money or fame, I will get out and be a full-time father.
“I have always had my mum and wife worry about me and ask about retiring — but it was different hearing it from my son.
“It was just a terrible feeling but it will motivate me even more to reach my goal and get out safe.”
The lightweight division has a brilliant crop of youngsters, including 21-year-old Garcia, 21-year-old Devin Haney and Teofimo Lopez, 22.
All three have giant social media followings, Garcia has 6.6million
Instagram followers and recently went viral with a clip of him punching YouTube celebrity Jake Paul.
Haney is a Floyd Mayweather protege who is being compared to legend Sugar Ray Leonard.
But baby-faced veteran Campbell wants to be the man to upset the odds.
He said: “I like Lopez, we have sparred and he has beaten some real contenders, the other two I am not so sure about
“Garcia has speed and power — but also looks like he could take a good beating.
“I still feel fresh and I am ready to be the bogeyman for these new kids on the block, I feel I am the toughest fight for all these guys.
“Garcia was supposed to fight on July 4 against Abner Mares, who usually fights at featherweight and has not boxed in two years, but he pulled out because the money was not good enough.
“Well I am no featherweight and I am raring to go — so I will be a nightmare for him.”