Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr to be banned from knocking each other out in fight

0

Mike Tyson was known as the baddest man on the planet during his reign of terror as the heavyweight world champion.

He won 44 of his fights by often brutal KO and cut a menacing figure in his plain black shorts.

Roy Jones Jr was no slouch either, and has 47 stoppages in a career which only ended two years ago.

But when the two ring legends meet on September 12 in Los Angeles, they will not be allowed to add to their records.

Tyson and Jones will clash over eight rounds in what will be nothing more than an exhibition of their faded skills.

The pair will not wear head guards and will pull on 12oz gloves rather than the 10oz mitts used by professionals.

And the referee will have the right to step in and stop the bout if either man goes looking for a KO.

“The (CSAC) is licensing the Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr match scheduled to take place in Los Angeles in September as an eight-round exhibition match,” the California State Athletic Commission told Sky Sports.

“In this match, the referee will have the authority to stop the fight if it strays outside the boundaries of a competitive boxing exhibition.

“Mr. Tyson and Mr. Jones Jr will have to submit all CSAC medical tests for fighters over 40 as well as CSAC’s emergency regulations that have been put in place to slow the spread of COVID-19.”

Tyson has been hinting at a comeback for several months after posting footage of himself in the gym.

Jones was not among the early contenders to be his opponent but emerged as the leading contender over the last week.

And he said: “I am happy that this fight between me and Mike Tyson will happen! I was always ready and will be ready this time as well.”

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply