Thiago made to wait after Bayern Munich admission over Liverpool-linked star

0

Thiago Alcantara’s future remains in question after Bayern Munich confirmed they have received no offers for the wantaway Spaniard.

The midfielder has just one year left on his deal at the Allianz Arena and has pulled out of talks over a new contract.

The former Barcelona man has told club chiefs that, at the age of 29, he is keen to undertake a new challenge in his career after seven hugely successful seasons with the German giants.

Liverpool have been linked with a move for the Spain international, who has won seven successive Bundesliga titles.

Last month, SportBild claimed Thiago was “keen” on a move to Anfield, and that he had told Bayern teammates of a desire to play under Jurgen Klopp.

And the Kop boss has made clear his admiration of the playmaker.

After talks with Thiago, Bayern chiefs made clear that they would look to sell him this summer. CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge went public earlier this month, emphasising: “We don’t want to lose a player on a free transfer next year.”

But speaking on Thursday he made clear that no bids have arrived at Bayern’s door thus far – while Die Roten are unaware if Thiago has agreed terms with a new club.

“Hasan [Salihamidzic, sporting director] had talks with Thiago. They were always very positive, but he told Hasan some time ago that he wants to do something new to finish his career.

“So far no club has contacted us. We don’t know if he’s settled things with a new club.”

The issue for Bayern and Thiago is finding someone this summer willing to meet their £30million valuation for a player who will have little sell-on value – particularly when he can leave for nothing next year.

Add on his salary and there are few real genuine landing spots for Thiago this summer; Juventus may have been one, but their move for Arthur may well negate any interest, while PSG and Manchester City are among the few others who could genuinely cut a deal in this transfer window.

Liverpool continue to insist that they will not do any big business this summer, in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic and their Premier League title success.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply