Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Instagram has 11m followers

0

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have hit 11 million followers on Instagram, but look likely to be overtaken by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are just behind them with 10.9 million fans.

Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle, 38, who run Sussex Royal, have seen their following skyrocket since announcing their retreat from the public eye last week. 

The couple, who will be splitting their time between Canada and Windsor Castle after they stepped down as senior royals, are now just 100,000 followers behind Prince William, 37, and Kate Middleton, 38.

This is despite the Cambridges’ account Kensington Royal being around for much longer, while the Sussexes only started their account last April. 

 The Kensington Royal account gets an average of 300,000 likes for their posts, with statement posts including Kate Middleton’s birthday racking up 1.2 million likes.

Meanwhile Sussex Royal gets a similar average, but their recent post announcing they would be stepping down garnered almost 2 million likes from supportive fans. 

While William and Kate’s account follows just under 100 people, Harry and Meghan follow new accounts each month to highlight charitable causes.  

On Sunday night the Duke of Sussex has said he is ‘taking a leap of faith’ in stepping back from his life as a member of the royal family, but ‘there really was no other option’.

Harry gave an emotional speech, where he told the ‘truth’ about leaving royal duties behind in a bid for a ‘more peaceful life’ for his family.

The duke has attended his first public event since the announcement was released on Saturday that said from the spring, the duke and duchess will stop using HRH, spend the majority of their time living in Canada, and pay back the taxpayers’ money spent renovating their Frogmore home.

Harry was spotted arriving at the UK-Africa Investment Summit in London, where he held a number of private meetings, and was photographed shaking hands with the prime minister of Morocco Saad-Eddine El Othmani.

In a speech at a private event for his charity Sentebale on Sunday night, Harry told invited guests: ‘What I want to make clear is we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you.

‘Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible.

‘I’ve accepted this, knowing that it doesn’t change who I am or how committed I am.

‘But I hope that helps you understand what it had to come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.’

Earning money while being a member of the royal family appears to have been the crux of the discussions Harry held with the Queen, Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge about the future role of he and his wife.

 

 

Share.

About Author

Leave A Reply