Girl, five, is raped on US embassy premises in India ‘by 25-year-old driver’ 


A man has been arrested in India for allegedly raping a five-year-old girl on the grounds of the US Embassy in New Delhi. 

The youngster’s parents lodged a complaint with police on Sunday morning and cops seized a 25-year-old man on embassy grounds later the same day. 

Both the girl and the suspect live at the diplomatic site and their families know each other well, according to investigators.   

Police said the man ‘lured’ the girl into his house while both of his parents were away from the home.

‘The suspect didn’t even expect that the girl would inform her parents or that anyone would approach the police,’ a senior officer told the Hindustan Times. 

The five-year-old told her mother about the incident when she returned home. 

‘The girl’s mother is pregnant and she fell ill on getting to know of the crime. But she took the girl to a private clinic for treatment,’ the officer said.  

The alleged rapist works as a driver for the embassy and lives on site with his father, who is also a member of support staff. The girl’s father works there as a housekeeper.

The US embassy in New Delhi is set on a 28-acre compound in an upmarket diplomatic neighbourhood of India’s capital and is heavily guarded. 

The majority of the staff, who live in the servants’ quarters, are employed from the local area. 

There were some 40,000 rapes reported in India in 2016, according to the most recent official figures available. 

In 2018, the Indian government buckled under public pressure and approved capital punishment for repeat offenders and for individuals who rape children under the age of 12.  

Activists claim the 40,000 number is just the tip of the iceberg as many victims are afraid to report the crimes due to threats by perpetrators or the social stigma attached to sexual assaults.

In recent months a string of sex attacks, mostly of children, have caused further outrage and protests.

On Monday night, a ten-year-old girl was left fighting for her life after she was brutally raped, beaten with stones and buried alive in the Indian state of Rajasthan.   

The young victim had left her family home at around 9.30pm to buy chocolate from a local shop.  

Police said an unemployed youth living in her neighbourhood lured the girl into a nearby abandoned house. 

He proceeded to rape her and beat her up with stones to her head, before trying to bury her alive, police say, according to The Times of India.   











About Author

Leave A Reply